Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 50th Shiva Sthalam on the Southern bank of the river Cauveri in Chozha Nadu (Thenkarai). In this temple, Lord Shiva is a (self-manifested) Swayambumurthi.
- Moolavar:Sri Parvatheeswarar, Sree Sameevaneswarar
- Ambal:Sri Swayamvara Thapaswini, Sri Shakti Nayaki, Sri Ampaduttakkannaal
- Theertham (Holy water):Surya Theertham and Guha Theertham
- Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree):Vilvam / Vanni tree
- Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by:Saint Thirugnanasambanthar.
- Location:Thiruthelichery, Karaikkal, Puducherry.
This west facing temple ‘s main tower (Rajagopuram) has 5-tiers and it has 2 corridors. Karaikkal is one of the 63 revered Nayanmars, the birthplace of Saint Karaikkal Ammaiyar.
The last consecration (Kumbabishekam) took place on 07.06.2004 and before that on 09.05.1971.Karaikkal is one of the oldest port cities and commercial centres of South India. Now Karaikkal is a part of Puducherry.
The movement of four “Yugas” is believed to have been seen by Lord Shiva here. This position was identified as Brahma Vanam in Kretha Yugam, Sameevanam in Thretha Yugam, Ananda Vanam in Dwapara Yugam, and Mukthi Vanam in the present Kaliyugam, according to the sthala purana.