Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 11th Shiva Sthalams in Nadu Naadu. Lord Shiva in this temple is a (self-manifested) Swayambumurthi.
- Moolavar : Veeratteswarar
- Urchavar : Andhakasura Murthy
- Amman / Thayar : Perianayaki, Shivanandavalli
- Thala Virutcham : Sarakondrai
- Theertham : Thenpennai
- Old year : 1000-2000 years old
- Historical Name : Andhakapuram
- Location : Tirukovilur,Viluppuram,Tamil Nadu.
In this temple Lord Shiva is a Bairavar himself.
Both the Moolavar and Ambal Shrines face the west and are constructed as separate temples.
There are eight special places in Hindu mythology where Lord Shiva is believed to have defeated numerous demons and to have displayed acts of bravery. These positions are Sthalams of the Veeratta. This in Tamil is called “Atta Veerattanam” (“Atta” means eight and “Veeram” means bravery). Thirukkovilur is the second Veerattana Sthalam where it is believed the lord has vanquished the Andhakasuran demon.