Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
This is one of Nadu Naadu’s 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams, and 20th Shiva Sthalams. Lord Shiva is a (self-manifested) Swayambumurthi in this temple. This is one of the few temples that has palm tree, its “sthala viruksham.”
- Moolavar : Panangaateeswarar
- Amman / Thayar : Sathyaambikai, Puravammai
- Thala Virutcham : Palm Tree
- Theertham : Padmathirtham
- Old year : 1000-2000 years old
- Historical Name : Puravaar Panangkaatoor
- Location : Panaiyapuram, Viluppuram,Tamil Nadu
The Chola King Kulothungan-I supposedly built this temple.
If that place was heavily populated with palm trees, it is believed. This place is called “Puravaar Panangkatur” because “Puravaar” means forest in Tamil and meaning Panangkatur full of palm trees. In his hymns Saint Thirugnanasambanthar also described this place as Puravaar Panankatur.
A few temples of the 276 Paadal Petra Shivasthalams have Palm Tree (Panai) as their Sthala Viruksham. One is this temple.