Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
This is one of the 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and the 32nd Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Lord Shiva in this temple is a (self-manifested) Swayambumurthi. This is one of the three places where Mahakala Rishi reportedly built and worshipped the Shiva Lingam.
- Moolavar : Maha Kaleswarar
- Urchavar : Chandrashekarar
- Amman / Thayar : Kuyilmozhi Nayaki
- Thala Virutcham : Punnai
- Theertham : Makala Theertham
- Agamam / Pooja : Shivagama
- Old year : 1000-2000 years old
- Historical Name : Tiru Irumbai Makalam
- Location : Irumbai,Viluppuram,Tamil Nadu
It’s assumed that Chola King Kulothungan III founded this temple in the 7th century.
According to the inscriptions on the temple’s stone walls the name of the village is listed as “Iruncheri.”
Another reasoning behind the name Irumbai is that Iluppai trees once densely populated this area, so the village got the name Iluppai. This name was changed into Irumbai over a period of time.