Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
Iravatheeswarar Temple is a Hindu temple situated in the Thirukottaram village in Tamilnadu Tiruvarur district. Founded some 1000 years ago by the Medieval Cholas, the temple is dedicated to Shiva. The temple is a tributary of the Cauvery River, on the banks of the Vanchiyaru Canal.Tirugnanasambandar sang hymns to this temple in the name of Lord Shiva. This is the 170th Devaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam and 53rd Sthalam in Chozha Nadu, on the south side of the Cauvery River.
- Moolavar : Iraavatheeswarar
- Amman / Thayar :Vantamar Poonkuzhali, Sugantha Kuntalaambigai
- Thala Virutcham : Paarijaatham ( not available now)
- Theertham :Vaanchiyaaru; another is Sooriya Thirtham in front of the Temple
- Old year : 1000-2000 years old
- Historical Name : Tirukkóttaaru
- Location : Tirukkottaaram,Tiruvarur,Tamil Nadu.
Kulothunga Cholan founded the temple in the year 1253 A.D. Stone inscriptions in the temple refer to the King as the cholan kulothunga maduranthagan.
Iraavatham is Lord Indra ‘s elephant-vehicle at the heavens. It features white skin and four tusks. Once Sage Dhurvasa brought a lotus flower which decorated the Sivalingam at Kasi consecrated by the Sage.
He presented the flower to Lord Indra who came in his procession for the ceremony. With one hand, the proud Indra got the flor without any Reverence, and put it on the elephant ‘s head.