Rengha Holidays & Tourism Private Limited, the reliable DTO (Domestic…
This is one of 276 Devara Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalams and 22nd Shiva Sthalam in Chozha Nadu (Vadakarai) on the northern bank of the Cauvery River. In this shrine, Lord Shiva is a (self-manifested) Swayambumurthi.
- Moolavar:Sri Aabathsakayeswarar, Sri Vrikcharanyeswarar
- Ambal:Sri Bragan Nayaki, Sri Periya Nayaki
- Theertham (Holy water):Varuna Theertham/ Agni Theertham
- Sthala Vriksham (Sacred Tree):Lemon tree
- Pathigam (Hymn) rendered by:Saint Thirugnanasambanthar-1,Saint Thirunavukarasar (Appar)-1.
- Location:Thiru Anniyoor (Ponnur),Nagapattinam,Tamil Nadu.
The principal tower of this east facing temple is not tiered. There is a lovely sculpture in front of the Gopuram portraying Lord Siva and Goddess Parvathy.
There is a single corridor to this temple and there is no flag post (dwajasthambam) here.
Vigusaranyam, Bhaskara Kshetram and Anniyur are historical names of this area. The village is now renamed as Ponnur, though.